Monday, January 14, 2013

My Walt Whitman Vacation

On my last birthday, my wife surprised me with a vacation. Without telling me, and without any indication that she was doing so, she'd quietly pieced together a ten-day trek through America that would allow us to hit all the Walt Whitman hot spots. It is not only the greatest birthday present I've ever received, it is by far the best vacation I've ever taken in my life.

I'd like to share a little bit about the three most memorable spots we visited. If you are a Walt Whitman fan, a visit to any of these landmarks will be a true thrill.

1. The Walt Whitman House in Camden, New Jersey

Whitman's final residence - and the place where he actually died - was his brother's home in Camden, New Jersey. Whitman was forced to move there near the end of his life after he suffered a paralyzing stroke and could no longer care for himself. Today, the Walt Whitman House is open to the public as a museum. Walking through the home, I could almost feel his presence . . .

2. Kings Park State Hospital

When Whitman was alive, this facility was known as the Kings County Lunatic Asylum. Though this spot was not on the original itinerary, I decided we just had to stop and see it. My wife objected at first, on the grounds that it was "creepy," but I feel like the Kings County Lunatic Asylum was probably a major source of inspiration for Whitman in the later part of his career. He had his brother committed to the Asylum and would often visit for long periods of time.

3. The "Walt Whitman & His Invincible City" Tour

Though I'm not sure if this tour is still available or not, this was probably the high point of my amazing Walt Whitman vacation. A tour of Camden, New Jersey - specifically, the spots in Camden that were a big part of Whitman's life and career - that culminates in a stop at Whitman's massive tomb (which he designed himself at great expense), there's simply no substitute for this experience if you're a Whitman fan. The best part of all was the surprise appearance of Walt Whitman impersonator and scholar Darrel Blaine Ford, who wears period dress and reads Whitman's poems as though he were the man himself. The experience still gives me chills.

No comments:

Post a Comment